Jobs and Careers
Site Coordinator, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
2018 Tax Filing Season
Northern Chautauqua County Free Tax Preparation Program
Reports To: Project Manager
Job Category: Part-time, contract, non-exempt, temporary. Hours vary based on need, approximately 15 hours per week during tax season.
Purpose: Management of VITA sites hosted by United Way of Northern Chautauqua County.
General Summary: The VITA program offers free tax preparation services to low and moderate income taxpayers throughout northern Chautauqua County by utilizing the IRS VITA program. The VITA program is a partnership with the IRS, SUNY Fredonia, the Chautauqua County EITC Coalition and led by United Way of Northern Chautauqua County. The VITA Site Coordinator provides coordination, organization, and supervision for all aspects of a VITA site’s operation.
• Coordinates with Project Manager on all aspects of site management, IRS, program requirements, and e-file administration
• Manages VITA site operations during the tax season
• Maintains privacy and confidentiality of taxpayer information
• Ensures that all required volunteer certification is on site
• Attends relevant meetings as directed by Program Manager
• Ensures that all volunteers working at the site have the proper tools and information to accurately file tax returns
• E-Filing/Transmission and Quality Review, including:
• Acts as the e-file administrator
• Reviews tax returns to be e-filed to ensure quality and completeness
• E-files returns within 48 hours of preparation
• Maintains files for accepted returns and paper returns
• Reviews rejected returns and informs tax filer within 24 hours.
• Take necessary action to fix the problem and resubmit the tax return
• Completes additional related tasks when requested
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The ideal Site Coordinator will have the following education and skill requirements:
• Experience as a VITA volunteer or certified tax preparer is preferred
• Must be available to work flexible hours, days, evenings and Saturdays from January to April
• Ability to manage and coordinate an all-volunteer staff
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced setting
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Experience in Accounting or related field preferred, but not required
• Valid Driver’s License and reliable transportation
Classroom training or self-study through IRS Link and Learn and a passing score of 80% or more on the tax law and standards of conduct exams at the Advance level and HSA certification. A special IRS Site Coordinator training is provided to the coordinators by IRS-SPEC or United Way representatives. This course covers all the quality site requirements and other administrative items necessary to effectively operate a VITA site.